Medical Waste Disposal Laws
Special Waste Services is a licensed transporter of biohazardous waste and is therefore required to comply with all state and federal waste regulation laws.
As a generator of biohazardous waste that stores this waste, your organization is required to follow all state and federal waste regulation laws as well.
To learn more about proper biohazardous waste handling and disposal, as well as laws that affect your organization, just click on the links below:
State Laws & Regulations
Department of Natural Resources
Department of Health and Environment, Bureau of Waste Management
Federal Laws & Regulations:
FDA Page on Home Diposal of Sharps
CDC Link to Healthcare associates infection information
Federal Record Retention Guidelines for Medical Records
How To Choose The Right Medical Waste Disposal Company
10 Questions You Should Ask Any Medical Waste Company To Determine If They Deserve Your Business
If you need to hire a medical waste disposal company, here are 10 questions you can ask to find the one that’s right for your organization:
- Will you provide medical waste disposal services at a price that’s 15% - 25% lower than my current provider…with no hidden fees?
Many medical waste disposal companies overcharge you by as much as 25% and then slap you hidden fees such as fuel surcharges and environmental fees.
Special Waste Services guarantees their prices will be 15% - 25% lower than the competition, with absolutely no hidden fees.
- Do you charge a monthly fee even if you don’t pick up our medical waste?
National medical waste companies charge you an automatic monthly fee even if they don’t pick up any medical waste that month.
Special Waste Services will only charge when we pick up your medical waste.
- Will you raise our prices during the term of our agreement?
The agreement with your current medical waste disposal company likely allows them to raise their prices by as much as 18% per year, every year. That means by the end of your agreement you could be paying twice as much as the original quoted rate.
Special Waste Services does not believe you should have to pay too much for great medical waste disposal services. That’s why we will never raise your prices over the term of our agreement.
- Are your pickup schedules flexible enough to meet our needs?
Most medical waste disposal companies use large box trucks to pick up medical waste, so it’s expensive to change schedules and re-route their trucks to meet your needs.
Special Waste Services won’t force you to fit into our schedule. We use smaller vehicles for waste pickups, allowing for flexible pickup days and times that meet your schedule…not ours.
- Can I get an immediate response from a local service rep?
When you call a national medical waste disposal company you usually get an out-of-state customer service rep that can’t always get you an immediate response to your problem.
Special Waste Services provides an immediate response from a local service rep and a solution to your problem within two hours.
- Will you help us reduce our medical waste?
Most medical waste disposal companies simply have no interest in helping their clients reduce their medical waste, because more waste from you means more money for them.
Special Waste Services will actually help reduce your medical waste with our three-step Medical Waste Reduction Program. Go to www.specialwasteservice.com for details.
- Are you a locally-owned and operated company?
According to Local Works, for every $100 spent with a local vendor, $73 (73%) stays in your community. When the same amount is spent with a “non-local” national company, only $43 (43%) stays in your community.
Special Waste Services is a locally-owned and operated medical waste disposal company that reinvests the profits we earn from our customers back into our community.
- Can I cancel our agreement without penalty if I’m dissatisfied?
Few medical waste disposal companies give their customers the option of canceling their agreement and the ones that do charge a “liquidation fee” equal to six months of invoices.
Special Waste Services does not have to hold our customers hostage to an agreement, because we’ve got a customer retention rate of 98.7%. If you’re dissatisfied for any reason you can cancel our agreement without penalty.
How To Reduce Your Medical Waste
Have you ever heard of a medical waste disposal company that actually helps customers reduce their medical waste?
Chances are you haven’t and that’s because if your organization makes the mistake of including non-hazardous waste, like paper, cardboard and food into their medical waste stream, it means more waste from you and more money for the medical waste disposal company.
At Special Waste Services we take a much different approach. We know that if we can help our customers reduce their waste and save money, they’ll be happy customers and stay with us for a long, long time.
Introducing Our Three-Step Medical Waste Reduction Program
Special Waste Services can help reduce your biohazard waste with our three-step Medical Waste Reduction Program.
Here’s how it works:
Step 1: We audit your medical waste stream to determine what percentage of your current waste is actually non-hazardous waste. Then we quantify your potential savings.
Step 2: We educate your staff on proper medical waste disposal, so that everyone has the knowledge needed to reduce your medical waste.
Step 3: We implement an action plan that includes written policies, effective signage and proper container placement.
Free Medical Waste Audit
It’s easy to reduce your medical waste. To take the first step and schedule your free medical waste audit, just call us at (816) 741-7057 or click here.
Why Choose A Local Company?
If you need to purchase a product or service and are faced with the option of buying from a locally-owned business or from a large, national chain, here are some facts you may want to consider:
- For every $100 spent with a local vendor, $73 (73%) stays in your community, compared to the same purchase with a national company, where only $43 (43%) stays in your community.
- Buying from local companies can mean as much as 75% more tax revenues for your community, because local businesses do not get the tax breaks that local governments often hand out to attract national companies.
- When you buy from local companies your money stays in your community, because local business owners are much more likely to spend their money in the community.
- Local business owners do everything they can to stay “local”, while national companies often abandon their buildings and your community when they find a more profitable location.
- A locally-owned business loses three jobs for every two new jobs that a national company creates in your community.
(Source for Facts: Local Works.)
Special Waste Services Is Your LOCAL Medical Waste Disposal Company
When it comes to medical waste disposal companies you also have a choice nationally-owned companies and a locally-owned and operated company like Special Waste Services.
Here’s how we compare to some of our national medical waste disposal competitors:
- Our prices are 15% - 25% lower for the exact same services.
- Unlike our national competitors, we won’t increase your prices during the term of our agreement or slam you with hidden fees.
- We also won’t charge an automatic monthly fee unless we actually pick up your waste that month.
- We provide immediate responses and actual solutions from local service representatives not empty promises from a national call center.
- We don’t hold our customers hostage to a service agreement or surprise them with unfair, automatic contract renewals.
- Our 100% Money-Back Guarantee means that if you’re not happy with our service for any reason, we’ll refund your money.
How Special Waste Services Stacks Up To The Competition
To see some of the other ways Special Waste Services stacks up to our national competitors, click here to download a copy of our Comparison Checklist.